Southern Marsh Orchids

Southern Marsh Orchids

Sunday 9 August 2015

A beautiful morning today at Aberthaw. Over a hundred swallows stocking up before heading south, with a few house martins mixed in. More signs of movement with lesser whitethroat, common whitethroat and chiffchaff about. Lots of dragonflies around, although I was only able to identify Emperor and Blue-tailed Damsel. Butterflies included common blue, small white, meadow brown, gatekeeper by the score and my first grayling of the year.

I also photoed a few yellow plants to continue my floral education. Three below. From my book I'm thinking Large-flowered Evening Primrose, Perforate St. John's Wort and Common (or Welsh?) Groundsel. Grateful for any confirmation or correction! Thanks in advance....




1 comment:

  1. Evening Primroses are a tricky group but that does look to have very large flowers. The red top to the stem also indicates Large-flowered EP.

    Not sure about the St John's-wort, hard to tell from a photo.

    The last one is Common Ragwort rather than Groundsel.

    George

    ReplyDelete