Southern Marsh Orchids

Southern Marsh Orchids

Monday 9 December 2013

Water Cricket

On my way over the hill between Maerdy and Aberdare, I stopped for lunch at a place called Cefnrhos-gwawr and before moving on, took quick a stroll. In a small pool, where water was draining from a bog, across a seldom used forest ride, I saw what I at first took to be pond skaters, but with quite a striking pattern on the abdomen. I took a couple of poor photos and at home, identified them as Water Crickets (Velia caprai). They are, apparently common and I've certainly seen them before, in various places, though there are only eighteen records from three sites on MapMate.
They have a preference for running water, while pond skaters prefer still water.

Please excuse the poor image. I had to blur out the dazzling reflection of the flash, to the left of the subject.
Water Cricket (Velia caprai). Please excuse the poor image.

4 comments:

  1. Very nice Mark! I've never seen any of those before.

    The new LRC data access tool shows a a few more records in Glamorgan. See http://www.lrcwalesdat.org/eng/wfs_public/display_image.php?dist_map_search_id_int=2209&id_taxon=740954

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I thought there must be far more records of it than the few on MapMate. It is pretty common where you get gently trickling water, particularly where it forms permanent pools, as in this case, where it filled some old wheel ruts. As with your Fatsia's visitors, it is mark of how mild the autumn and start to winter has been for these to be still active, especially up there, at 430 metres.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Adam I thought I had recorded this species in the freshwater ditch that flows into the lagoon at East Aberthaw, but having consulted the list I keep for the power station it is not mentioned, which confuses me and suggests either slovenliness or dementia either or both of which are possible. If they are still about it might be worth a look

    ReplyDelete
  4. I tend to concentrate on terrestrial invertebrates Nigel (there's only so many things I can cope with at once!) though last year I did see water scorpions and the Dytiscid beetle Colymbetes fuscus on Rhoose Point. I will have to keep my eye out for water Crickets now! If they are at Aberthaw there must be a good chance they are here too.

    By the way, if you want publishing access to this blog do let me know.

    ReplyDelete