Southern Marsh Orchids

Southern Marsh Orchids

Sunday 24 August 2014

A Tiny Gem

Wandering around the forest above my house, this afternoon, I came across two of these little beauties, scurrying across the ride in one of the more open, heathy areas. The first one quickly disappeared into the vegetation, but this one was far more obliging, allowing me to get some decent photos.

Sermylassa halensis


A beautiful and distinctive, if diminutive, being only around 5-6mm long, Sermylassa halensis, has as its larval food plant, various members of the Bedstraw family, so in the case of the two I saw, they would be using Heath Bedstraw, which is quite common up there.There don't seem to be many records of it in Glamorgan, at least on MapMate.

I also photographed this wasp. I haven't been able to identify it, but it makes a nice photo nonetheless.



2 comments:

  1. Hi Mark

    Nice Beetle, the wasp looks like a Tree Wasp judging by the single spot on the face.

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Mike. I've been wondering if it might be Tree Wasp.

    ReplyDelete