Southern Marsh Orchids

Southern Marsh Orchids

Monday 27 April 2015

walk around Parc Slip

Spent a pleasant few hours wandering around Parc Slip this morning. Saw my first damselfly of the year - a Large Red Damselfly -  and a number of bumblebees and Honey Bees. Lots of wildflowers on show attracting lots of bugs - mainly hoverflies. Identified Eristalis tenax and E. pertinax and a very nice Volucella pellucens but not sure about the Parasyrphus punctulatus.


Parasyrphus punctulatus ?

Also saw what I believe to be a Face Fly, Musca autumnalis (new for me)


and my first Large Bee Fly


2 comments:

  1. The V. pellucens is actually Leucozona lucorum - note the orange-brown (not dark brown/black) thorax and scutellum. I made the same mistake a couple of years ago!

    The other hover looks is a female Melanostoma, either scalare or mellinum. The best way to separate these is to look at the grey dust spots on the face, but this isn't visible in the photo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks George - I actually have a picture of Leucozona lucorum on file so no excuses for getting that one wrong!

    I always try and get a picture of the face ...... but the little beasts are very rarely co-operative!

    ReplyDelete