Southern Marsh Orchids

Southern Marsh Orchids

Saturday 12 October 2013

Another Slime Mould

A week ago, today, while doing a thrush survey near Mountain Ash, I had to climb up through a beech plantation and was stunned by the number and variety of the fungi growing there, most of which I couldn't identify, but forming a dull grey patch on a rotting log was a beautiful slime mould, with translucent white tentacle-like growths. I'm pretty sure it is a Ceratiomyxa and may be C. fruticulosa, but I'm not 100% certain.

Ceratiomyxa fruticulosa?

3 comments:

  1. Amazing looking stuff Mark, I've never seen anything like that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Apparently, it is one of the commoner slime moulds, but is easily dismissed at a glance as just a film of whitish mould on the surface of a wet, rotting log.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful photo Mark. I read of some very interesting experiments conducted on slime moulds in Jeremy Narby's "intelligence in nature". Although they are made up of many single celled animals, they behave as one organism to forage for food.

    ReplyDelete