Southern Marsh Orchids

Southern Marsh Orchids

Monday 16 February 2015

Picture-winged Beauty

Yesterday, while up the mountain above Abernant, in the Cynon valley, I found myself amongst an area of heather and I decided to try a little beating to see what came out. I improvised a beating tray, using instead my small collapsible photographic reflector, white side up and amongst the groggy and grumpy spiders and bewildered springtails there was this lovely Picture-winged Fly. Anyone who was at this year's SEWBReC Recorders' forum will remember Dave Clements' interesting and entertaining talk on these. Based on what he said about the problems of identifying them visually, including from photos, I will make no attempt to identify this one from my photos, but I thought I'd post a poor photo of a lovely creature anyway.


No comments:

Post a Comment