Southern Marsh Orchids

Southern Marsh Orchids

Wednesday 30 March 2016

frog spawn (?) and a leech on the garden decking

With all the rain we've had the decking has occasionally held water at one end but this eventually runs away. I moved some pots yesterday and found this lump of, what looks like, frog spawn on the decking behind a pot. I don't have a pond but have occasionally seen a frog around the garden, so is it ok to move this to the local 'frog pond' ?

Under the pot I found what I assume to be a leech. Contracted it was about 1/2 inch or so, but stretched to at least 2 inches.

On a more colourful note, I saw my first Marmalade Hoverfly of the year and managed to get a picture of a Buff-tailed Bumblebee sunning itself on the fence.

2 comments:

  1. It's not a leech but in fact the non-native flatworm Kontikia ventrolineata. I've seen it in Radyr and it has been recorded in Rhiwbina. It seems to be a recent arrival in south Wales and is probably spreading rapidly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks George. I have just watched a video on YouTube and that is definitely the beast!

    ReplyDelete